Category D1 license is meant for those individuals who are aiming at driving a bus (Passenger Carrying Vehicle). Generally, one can go ahead with a car driving license and meet certain conditions, failing which he will have to apply for a separate minibus driving license D1.
The D1 license entitles minibus drivers to drive a minibus with 17 seats (including the driver’s seat) and derive an income from minibus (for hire and/or reward).
Criteria for eligibility for D1 license and steps for acquisition
- Individuals holding driving license before 1st?January 1997 can drive in the UK and on temporary basis can visit abroad.
- Those having obtained license after 1st?January 1997 can drive a minibus if –
i)??????? They are 21 years of age
ii)?????? They have held a full license for a minimum of 2 years.
iii)???? They do not tow a trailer.
iv)???? They drive on a voluntary basis.
v)????? The vehicle belongs to a not-for-profit organisation.
vi)???? The maximum vehicle weight is 3.5tons. (4.25tons, if fitted with passenger lift)
vii)?? The theory, practical and medical tests are passed.
- Minimum age requirement is 17years.
- Necessary to hold a Category B license (car license).
- Pass the PCV medical test and get the D4 form filled up by their general physician.
- Apply for the D1 provisional license.
- Attend the PCV training course.
- Appear for the theory and practical tests that include multiple choice-type questions, hazard perception test and driving with safety test.
If a minibus driver feels the need to charge his passengers, he has to apply for a permit.
- He should be above 21 years of age.
- The minibus should carry 9-16 passengers.
- The minibus should be owned by a socially beneficial voluntary organisation.
- The service should be exclusively available for the members thereof, not the general public.
- The charges should be solely to cover the running costs; no profits should be associated with it.
However, those wishing to drive a minibus for profit can add a minibus provisional entitlement (or a PCV license) to their Category D1 license.